Heidi’s kinda not really traditional Cornish pasty recipe
(remove meat and eggs and replace with vegan cheese and nuttelex for eggs for vegan version)
- 3 medium potatoes (any kind really.
- 2 carrots
- 5 cloves garlic (I go hard on garlic so you may wish to lower the amount)
- 1 large turnip
- 2 largish onions
- Large handful of grated Cheese.
- 200 gas of chuck steak
- 6 sheets of puff pastry (You can make your own pastry if you wish but I’ve resorted to store bought because….. can’t be assed. )
- 1.5 tbspns butter
- 1 Egg yolk
- Worcesterise sauce
- 1 tspn Cumin if you want.
For the Handmade pastry:
- 2.5 cups of good quality flour (Laucke if you’re in Australia)
- 2 tbspns of sugar
- 280 gms lard
- 85 ml water
- 1 tspn salt.
Method for handmade pastry:
- Combine two thirds of flour with sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse twice to incorporate.
- Spread butter pats evenly over surface.
- Pulse until no dry flour remains and dough just begins to collect in clumps, about 25 short pulses.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the dough evenly around the bowl of the food processor.
- Sprinkle with remaining flour and pulse until dough is just barely broken up, about 5 short pulses. Transfer dough to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with water.
- Then, using a rubber spatula, fold and press dough until it comes together into a ball.
- Divide ball in half. Form each half into a 4-inch disk.
- Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before rolling and baking.
- Skin. potatoes , carrots and turnip. Dice finely.
- Cube into small cubes the chuck steak and brown with a saucepan
- With a saucepan, cook the potato carrot and turnip mix with olive oil
- Add herbs
- Leave to cool
- Add cheese.
Assemblage good times:
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- On a big chopping board cut the pastry squares (one per pasty) into a loose circle.
- Press the middles together and turn the edges into a knot to seal.
- Here’s the kicker… with your middle finger and thumb pinch then turn the pastry edges … do this over and over from one end to the other.
- Once you’ve made all the pasties, place on lightly oiled baking paper.
- With a pastry brush, brush on the egg yolk, then heat the butter and give it a good coat over the top.
- Cook for around 15 and keep checking till golden and tasty!