So these small cupcake sized balls of goodness were a favourite in my days of salt so I tried modding my recipe to do the thing saltless.So whilst a LowSodium recipe, please remember that milk is a source of naturally occurring sodium so don’t go too bingey on these bad boys – particularly when using a liberal amount of parmesan. Godda say tho, not too bad!
Ingredients for the handmade ricotta:
- 3 Litres Full Cream Milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice or 1/3 cup white vinegar or 2 tspns of tartaric acid
Ingredients for Ricotta Cakes:
- Well der… the Ricotta you just made
- Powdered parmesan to taste.
- 4 eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Basil Pesto (if you like!)
- In a large stockpot bring milk slowly to boil
- As the liquid just begins to bubble, turn the heat down and add 1/4 cup of white vinegar per litre of milk, stirring slowly until it starts to curdle.
- Leave to cool
- Drain whey off via cheesecloth, Squeeze liquid out and refridgerate.
Ricotta keeps refrigerated for up to 3 days. Cakes can be kept refrigerated for 2 – 4 days.